The Plug-in invites you to take part in our latest project — an opportunity to be involved in ground-breaking medical research on vascular health.
We are delighted to be working with Flinders Health and Medical Research Institute (FHMRI) to help their team of world-leading researchers to learn more about the indicators of vascular disease.
We are looking for healthy older South Australians who are interested in helping out with this important research to provide samples and attend an appointment at Flinders Medical Centre.
Why provide samples for this research?
Peripheral vascular disease is more common in those over 55 years of age and is a risk factor for loss of mobility or limb use, heart attack and stroke.
To better understand the identifiers of vascular disease, the team at FHMRI is undertaking important research to compare the results of healthy samples to those of diagnosed patients with peripheral vascular disease. These samples will also provide the base for a biobank of healthy control samples that will continue to be used in research over time.
To take part you will need to:
- Be able to attend one in-person appointment at Flinders Medical Centre on a Tuesday morning
- Consent to and provide your samples to a biobank to inform future vascular research (blood, urine, stool, saliva)
- Collect some of these samples at home in the days prior to your appointment (a sample kit will be provided to you)
Please note, in-person appointments will be scheduled with you directly. The appointment should take approximately 30 mins and will be available for scheduling from early October through to the end of November 2021.
If you are selected to participate and complete these activities, you will be provided with a $50 gift card and a parking voucher to use at Flinders Medical Centre as a thank you for your time and effort.
Am I eligible?
To be involved, you will need to:
- Be aged 60 years or older
- Live independently (not in a residential aged care facility)
- Be in good health
- Have no history of vascular/heart disease or related health conditions (eg diabetes, dementia, stroke)
- Be a non-smoker for at least the last ten years.
If you would like to contribute to this project, then click below to register your interest as a participant.
As much as we would like to have everyone involved, appointments for participants are limited. In order to be considered for involvement, please register your interest as soon as you can by following the link above.
Your contribution will make a difference to the lives of older South Australians.
For further information please contact Elyse at The Plug-in on (08) 8224 5526 or email firstname.lastname@example.org